Stairwell accidents can cause severe injuries. If you were injured in one, it is in your best interest to reach out to our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys to discuss the specifics of your case. At the Wilton Law Firm, our legal team is dedicated to ensuring that you obtain the compensation you deserve.
How do stairwell accidents occur in New Jersey?
There are many ways that stairwell accidents occur, however, many of them are a result of negligence. The most common causes of stairwell accidents include the following:
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Defective or broken railings
- Lack of security
If you were injured as a result of any of the above causes, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Contact our firm today to discuss the specifics of your case.
What steps should I take if I have been injured in a stairwell?
It is crucial that you obtain as much evidence as possible if you have been injured as a result of negligence in a stairwell. If you are able, take these steps following your accident:
- Call 911 – the police will file an accident report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident and be sure to include the hazardous conditions that caused the accident and your injuries sustained as a result.
- Gather contact information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident. They may be able to corroborate your version of the events.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that leads to the origin and severity of your injuries. This will be vital supporting evidence in your future personal injury claim.
- Reach out to a skilled New Jersey personal injury lawyer that can help you gain more evidence to help improve your claim. An attorney will also accompany you through the claims process and guarantee you are meeting all of the important deadlines.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New Jersey?
The state of New Jersey has a statute of limitations of two years for most personal injury claims. This means that you must file your personal injury claim within two years from the date of the accident or else you risk losing your opportunity to file the claim entirely, and you will not recover the compensation you deserve. Contact our firm as soon as possible to ensure you are promptly filing your stairwell accident claim.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or contact us online.