Car accidents can result in severe physical, emotional, and financial burdens. It is important to know the common causes of car accidents and what you can do to decrease the chances of getting into one. If you have been injured in a car accident as a result of another motorist’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys at the Wilton Law Firm today.
What are the most common causes of car accidents in New Jersey?
There are many different causes of car accidents. Below are the 5 most common causes of car accidents in New Jersey:
- Texting while driving: Technology has become more prevalent in today’s society, and as a result, people have grown more reliant and addicted to their mobile devices. If you use your phone while driving, serious life-threatening effects can take place.
- Speeding while driving: Many fatal car accidents could have been less critical if drivers drove slower. In several cases, crashes could be avoided altogether. Speeding limits a driver’s ability to maintain control of their vehicle. Make sure you are following the speed limit at all times to decrease the chance of a car accident.
- Drinking and driving: Alcohol is one of the largest causes of car accidents each day. A person’s ability to carefully drive their car drops significantly after they’ve had alcohol. From a legal and security standpoint, drinking and driving is not worth it.
- Distractions while driving: Playing around with the center console of your car to modify settings or to change the radio station can cause you to take your eyes off of the road. These distractions have dangerous outcomes. Be sure to keep your eyes on the road and reduce as many diversions as you can while driving.
- Weather conditions: When the weather is bad, the chances of getting into a car accident drastically increases. Rain, snow, and ice cause the roads to be slippery, which can result in the loss of control of your vehicle. Be careful driving when the weather is bad, and if possible, stay off the roads entirely.
Can I file for a personal injury claim if I was injured in a car accident?
If you were injured in a car accident as a result of another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover damages. Contact one of our experienced personal injury attorneys to discuss your case and learn about your options.
It is also important to note that the state of New Jersey has a statute of limitations of two years from the date of your accident. This means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within two years from the date of your car accident, you will lose the chance to win the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or contact us online.