Can I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against a Government Entity?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

If you get hurt in an accident caused by another person, you usually have the chance to bring a personal injury lawsuit against them. What if the party that injured you was a government entity or agency though? We often have potential clients ask us if it is even possible to sue them, and if you are wondering the same thing then we have some good news for you. You can sue a government entity and our Monmouth County personal injury attorneys are ready to help you.

Which Government Entity Can Be Sued?

Many different state and government entities can be sued, including parts of the federal and state government. If we want to keep it just to New Jersey, potential defendants in personal injury cases can include:

  • County governments
  • Municipality governments
  • State and local agencies
  • New Jersey State Police
  • The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

If you are unsure about which government entity should be held accountable, our lawyers should be able to help you.

What Kind of Situations Can Result in a Personal Injury Suit?

There are many scenarios that could allow you to file a personal injury suit against the government. Some examples include:

  • Someone getting injured due to dangerous terrain on public land
  • Someone gets hurt at a public pool due to a lack of lifeguards or negligence of state employees
  • A child gets injured at school due to staff negligence
  • A doctor or medical professional at a public hospital causes harm
  • Someone gets hurt in a vehicle crash with a public employee

If this sounds like something that happened to you, you should contact a lawyer and begin seeking compensation soon. You do not have much time to begin the legal process when you are suing a government entity.

How Long Do I Have to Sue a Government Entity?

Most of the time, a personal injury lawsuit is constrained by the statute of limitations. In New Jersey, for example, you usually have just two years to file a lawsuit if you get injured in an accident. The rules are different if you are suing a government entity though. In cases like this, you have just 90 days to file a claim! It can be helpful to have a lawyer for this part, because if your claim is not properly filled out and filed you could end up wasting time and losing your chance to pursue compensation.

What Damages Can I Collect When I Sue a Government Entity?

A personal injury case against a government entity allows you to collect the same kinds of damages you would in a lawsuit against a private citizen, including compensation for:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Reduced quality of life
  • Disability or impairment
  • Pain and suffering

Contact Our Legal Team Today

So if you think that you have a personal injury case against a government entity, you should act quickly. Contact the Wilton Law Firm and ask about scheduling a free initial consultation. We can tell you more about the potential value of your case and what our lawyers can do to assist you.