Are Slip and Falls on a Public Sidewalk the City’s Responsibility?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

If you slip and fall on a public sidewalk due to an obvious defect or safety hazard, is that the city’s fault? In some cities in New Jersey, the answer is yes. If the city is in charge of keeping sidewalks safe, then they have failed when someone gets injured on one of them. Our Monmouth County sidewalk accident attorneys can take a closer look at your case and tell you more about your legal options.

When Can Injuries From a Public Sidewalk Be Blamed on the City?

Who is in charge of maintaining a sidewalk can vary based on what town, city, or municipality you are located in. Many cities in New Jersey are in charge of caring for their own sidewalks though. This means that any hazards are their responsibility to deal with.

If you end up getting hurt due to a broken sidewalk, ice, or any other sidewalk hazard, you may have a case against the city. We recommend taking pictures of where the accident occurred and contacting a personal injury attorney from our firm. It is in your best interest to act quickly here.

How Long Do I Have to Sue For Damages After Getting Hurt on a Public Sidewalk?

Most personal injury cases in the state of New Jersey have a statute of limitations lasting two years. This means you must begin the legal process within two years of the accident occurring or you will probably miss the chance to pursue compensation. The deadline is even more strict. You must file a claim with the city sometime in the 90 days following your accident or risk your case being thrown out.

What Should My Compensation Cover?

Your compensation should cover any expenses relating to your accident. It should also help make up for any psychological effects the accident had on you. A fair offer would compensate you for:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • The cost of future medical care
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Loss of future earning potential
  • Pain from disability or disfigurement

It can often be tempting to take the first offer from an insurer and be done with this. The insurance company is just trying to get out of this for the least amount of money that they can. Let our lawyers help you fight for the compensation that you really deserve.

Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer

Remember, you need to act quickly if you want to file a claim against a city. So contact the Wilton Law Firm and schedule your free consultation. We are ready to put our years of experience to work for you, so take the time to learn more about how we can help you and your family fight for the compensation that you deserve.