What’s the Difference Between an Invitee and a Licensee in New Jersey?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

In New Jersey, there are different statutes of visitors on a person’s property which can impact premises liability cases, as it affects the homeowner’s legal duty to provide care. The status of a person as an invitee and a licensee on someone’s property determines the level of responsibility when someone is hurt on their property. If you’re injured on another person’s property, understanding your status is crucial to knowing what kind of compensation you’re entitled to. Keep reading to learn more about your rights when on another person’s property and discover how Monmouth County slip and fall accident attorneys can help.

What Is an Invitee and a Licensee in Personal Injury Cases?

When someone is injured on another person’s property, their status as a visitor will impact the duty the homeowner must provide. Generally, there are three categories of visitors – an invitee, a licensee, and a trespasser.

An invitee is someone who will be on the property for mutual benefit. This is generally a customer or someone performing a service. For example, shoppers in stores, plumbers, and mailmen are examples of invitees. This is because they are on the property with explicit or implied business purposes from the owner or landlord. Generally, those on public property are considered invitees. A licensee, on the other hand, is someone on the property for social purposes. This includes friends and family members.

Finally, trespassers are people who are on a person’s property without consent from the property owner. Door-to-door salespeople do not count, as they are allowed to solicit on your property unless you explicitly have a sign informing them otherwise.

In relation to these categories, invitees are owed the highest duty of care, which includes inspecting the property for defects and damage, while remedying the issues as soon as possible. They must inform visitors of hazards. Licenses, however, are only required to be informed of defects and dangerous conditions if the homeowner is aware of them.

Am I Eligible for Compensation?

If you were hurt on another person’s property, understanding your status is crucial to knowing whether or not the homeowner met the duty of care they were mandated to meet when you were on their property. When the homeowner does not meet the standard of care required of them, you can be eligible for compensation.

You can file a lawsuit to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and damage to belongings. Generally, these cases are resolved via settlement as opposed to going to court.

When injured due to the negligence of others, you need a competent attorney ready to help you. The Wilton Law Firm is dedicated to helping get you the justice you need. Reach out to connect with one of our seasoned lawyers to learn how we can help you through a free consultation.