Can I Get a Temporary or Work License After DUI?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

One of the frequent consequences of being caught driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol in New Jersey is that you will lose your driver’s license. If a defendant is found guilty of a DWI or on a refusal charge, he will usually be ordered to immediately turn his driver’s license over to the court.

In 30 other states, drivers who have lost their license due to a DWI or DUI charge are able to apply for a temporary or work license. Unfortunately, New Jersey does not provide any such programs.

If you lose your license in New Jersey, you simply cannot drive. There are no loopholes or exceptions to this hard and fast rule. While there has been discussion about the state legislature considering implementing a work license program, this is unlikely. The opinion of local law enforcement is generally that a temporary or work license program would minimize the punishment of losing one’s license. Many believe that a driver convicted of DWI or DUI may not understand the gravity of the situation if a work license is made available to them.

If a driver with an out-of-state license is convicted of DWI or DUI in New Jersey, the court has no legal authority to order the defendant to turn over his or her license. However, that driver then cannot, under any circumstances, legally drive in New Jersey, even though the driver’s license is still valid in other states.

If you or someone you love is facing losing their driver’s license for any reason, including DUI, contact the skilled lawyers at Wilton Law Firm in Monmouth County, NJ.