A dashcam is a small camera that can be placed on your car’s dashboard. They are legal in New Jersey as long as they are not in a place where they are a distraction, and one could come in handy if you get into an accident and you are not at fault. Footage from a dashcam can be used in court, and that means that our Monmouth County car accident attorneys can use it to build a personal injury case against another driver who caused you harm.
Why is a Dashcam Valuable?
A car accident case often involves a lot of “he said, she said.” Unless there was a traffic camera or another surveillance device nearby, blame just gets passed around because no one wants to admit to causing an accident. Footage from a dashcam can change things. It could show someone:
- Committing a traffic violation
- Stumbling out of their car after the accident, clearly under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Admitting to causing the accident
A dashcam can also show that you were driving normally and obeying traffic laws at the time. This can be especially valuable in New Jersey, which uses a modified comparative negligence statute. In simple terms, it means that responsibilities for the accident can sometimes be split. If someone was only 25% responsible for an accident, their compensation could get cut. A driver who was fully responsible for an accident might try and pin some of the blame on you for this reason, but footage of the accident can show debunk any of their stories.
Do I Need an Attorney if I Have Dashcam Footage?
Even with dashcam footage, it can be difficult to prove that another person was negligent. An experienced car accident attorney can:
- Speak to other involved parties, like insurance companies, on your behalf
- Gather other evidence needed to make your case
- Defend you from any accusations of wrongdoing
- Keep you updated on any progress in your case
- Prepare you for depositions or testimony
Insurance companies have plenty of resources on their side. You should have someone fighting for you.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Win in a Car Accident Case?
A car accident case can reward many types of compensation. Your settlement can include awards that help make up for:
- The cost of past and future medical care
- Any wages you lost out on while recovering
- A loss of future earning potential, if your injuries affect your ability to work
- Loss of enjoyment
- Mental anguish
- Property damages
- Any other pain and suffering
And if you win these damages partly because you bought a little dashcam, you will be glad that you made the purchase.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you have been injured in a car accident and you have dashcam footage that you can use as evidence in your favor, contact the Wilton Law Firm. We can offer you a free consultation and tell you more about the potential value of your personal injury suit.