Because of their size and weight, trucks can be perilous. Weather conditions can have a serious impact when it comes to safely driving a truck. In fact, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), winds that are greater than 25 miles per hour can impact a truck driver’s ability to control their vehicle.
How Are Wind-Related Truck Accidents Caused?
When a truck experiences strong winds on the road, it can greatly increase the chances of an accident happening. This may be the case in the event of any of the following:
- High crosswinds: A strong gust of wind can cause a truck to sway or even tip over on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo that has not been loaded correctly can shift and unevenly distribute the truck’s weight, making the vehicle difficult to navigate in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers are required to check the weather regularly so they know what safety precautions to implement on the road. This can include slowing to a safe speed, pulling over until conditions improve, planning an alternative route, etc. Failing to do so can leave a truck driver unprepared, resulting in an accident.
What Types of Accidents Are Caused By Strong Winds?
There are several ways a truck accident can happen due to strong winds. The most common types of accidents include:
- Rollover accidents: Wind can cause a driver to lose control and roll the vehicle over on its side.
- Underride accidents: Truck drivers who step on the brakes after being hit by wind can cause a closely following vehicle to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What Do I Do if I’m Injured in a Truck Accident?
When a truck accident occurs, it can cause serious, life-changing injuries to those involved. It is because of this that victims may want to pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim. When it comes to a personal injury claim, there are some important steps to take. After the accident, you should make sure to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident, including any damage to your car, the truck, and any property involved. Additionally, if anyone witnessed the accident occur, you should obtain their contact information. Make sure to seek medical attention and ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.