What If You Slip and Fall On Government Property?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

If you slip and fall on government property, you could get seriously hurt. If you believe that you only got hurt because of the property owner’s negligence, you may be able to sue for compensation. Suing the government itself can be tricky though. You’ll want to act quickly and you’ll want to meet with our Monmouth County slip and fall accident attorneys.

What Should I Do If I Get Hurt on Government Property?

After you fall on government property and get hurt, you need to start building your personal injury case. You can take steps immediately after the accident to protect yourself and make your claim against a property owner even stronger. We recommend:

  • Taking pictures of the accident scene and the hazard that caused your fall
  • Getting contact info from any witnesses who saw the accident happen
  • Get medical care right away
  • Keep copies of your medical bills as proof of your expenses
  • Track any other expenses or lost income, i.e. missed days of work

Then you may want to consider talking to a lawyer because you do not have a long time to act when the defendant is the government.

How Long Do I Have to Take Action Against the Government?

Normally, a victim in a slip and fall case has two years to pursue legal action in New Jersey. When the fall happens on government property, you only have 90 days to submit a claim. This informs the government that you plan to sue them for damages. Only after submitting a claim can you move forward with an actual lawsuit.

Some cities and municipalities set their own limits. Some give victims just 30 days to submit their claim. So no matter where you got hurt in New Jersey, you should be ready to act quickly and start the legal process to claim the compensation you deserve.

Will the Government Pay Out For Pain and Suffering?

There are also limits on what kinds of damages get paid out in cases like these. If you fell on government property, you are probably only going to be able to recover “specific” damages. These are the things that are easy to quantify, like medical expenses and lost wages. You are unlikely to be awarded damages for things like loss of enjoyment, psychological trauma, or pain and suffering.

How Can a Lawyer Help Me?

You are not required to hire a lawyer, but you should strongly consider having one on your side so that you do not miss your chance to pursue compensation. Your lawyer can:

  • Communicate on your behalf
  • Defend you from accusations of wrongdoing
  • Ensure that you do not miss any deadlines
  • Answer your questions about the legal process
  • Fight for fair compensation
  • Use expert witnesses to bolster your case
  • Prepare you to testify

Ask About Our Free Case Consultations

So if you got hurt on government property, don’t let your time to seek compensation run out. Contact the Wilton Law Firm and ask to schedule your free consultation today.