Did you know that garbage trucks are especially prone to accidents? If you are injured in a garbage truck accident, you may be eligible to recover compensation. Read on to learn more.
Can I recover compensation for a garbage truck accident?
When it comes to a garbage truck accident, there are numerous parties that may be held responsible, including:
- Garbage truck driver
- Waste removal company
- Garbage truck owner
- Vehicle maintenance company
- Government entity
- Other drivers on the road
If you can prove that your accident was a direct result of one of the parties listed above, you may be entitled to recover compensation.
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do this, be sure to:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance, secure the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention
- It is important to seek medical attention, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can help provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injury.
- Document the scene
- Before leaving the scene, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident happen, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
- Work with an experienced attorney
- A personal injury attorney can help obtain evidence you would not be able to access on your own. This may include security camera footage, among other things.
- File your claim on time
- In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will typically mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
To learn more about how we can help you after sustaining an injury due to no fault of your own, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or contact us online.