Supermarket accidents occur more often than you may expect. Unfortunately, these accidents can result in serious injuries. An injury can lead to physical, emotional, and financial troubles and you may deserve compensation to help alleviate these newfound burdens. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents in New Jersey and what to do if an accident occurs.
How do Supermarket Accidents Occur?
When we go grocery shopping, we don’t usually think about all the different ways for an injury to occur. But, in reality, there are a lot of different things to look out for. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Slip and fall accidents due to spills in aisles or restrooms left unattended
- Unstable displays
- Defective automatic entrance and exit doors
- Loose produce or items falling from shelves
- Spoiled food left for unsuspecting customers to purchase or sample
- Trip and fall accidents, often due to poorly placed (or missing) floor mats
Can I Recover Compensation for a Supermarket Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do this, you should:
- Seek medical attetnion
- First and foremost, it is important that you receive the necessary medical attention. Be sure to call 911 right away.
- Report the accident
- Notify the manager that an accident has occurred. This will allow him or her to file an accident report. Ask for the manager’s name and if possible, obtain a copy of the report.
- Document the scene
- While waiting for the ambulance, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Obtain medical documents
- Going to the hospital will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney
- An attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, our firm is here to help. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.