If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents, how they are caused, and what to do in the event of an accident.
What are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents are among some of the most serious accidents. This is because pedestrians have little to no protection against cars. Often, these accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common causes of driver negligence include:
- Excessive speeding
- Driving while intoxicated
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Failing to follow the rules of the road
- Ignoring lights, signs, etc.
In some cases, pedestrians can act negligently as well. For example, failing to use a crosswalk, failing to follow traffic lights, or crossing the street while distracted can cause serious accidents.
Can I Recover Compensation for a Pedestrian Accident in New Jersey?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. An injury can take a major toll physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially. You may deserve compensation for things like medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, you will have to provide proof that your accident was a result of the negligence of another party. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Documenting the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtaining witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and phone number.
- Seeking medical attention: You should visit the hospital immediately after an accident. If you have been struck by a vehicle, chances are, you are facing serious injuries. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.