When stairwells are not properly maintained, serious injuries can occur. Read on to learn more about stairwell accidents in New Jersey.
How do Stairwell Accidents Occur?
Stairway accidents can happen for a number of different reasons. The most common causes of stairway accidents include:
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Defective or broken railings
- Lack of security
What do I do if I am Injured in a Stairway Accident?
If you have been injured in a stairway accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: the police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, be sure to ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: Some people try to recover at home on their own, without seeing a doctor. This is not a good idea. It is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Additionally, your injuries may not heal properly without medical attention. Lastly, going to the hospital can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- File your claim on time: If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years may mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a stairwell accident in New Jersey, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.