It is crucial for people to be safe while they are operating a vehicle. This is especially so for bicycles, as they offer riders little to no protection from the many hazards that can be present and post a threat on the road. It is because of this that bike riders should implement every safety precaution they can to protect themselves from being involved in an accident. Due to the fact that May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced New Jersey law firm created a list of safety tips to follow when bike riding:
- Make sure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. Bikes have many different parts that need to function together so it can work properly. This can be made sure by checking to see that it is in good condition, checking the brakes, filling the tires to the correct air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikers should also use the right hand signals to let motor vehicles sharing the road know where they are going, such as making a turn or switching lanes.
- Always wear a helmet. Any helmet does the job, however, it is better to have one that meets the guidelines set by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC).
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signs and traffic lights, not biking under the influence, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Wear bright colors while out riding so that you can be seen by other motor vehicles on the road. In addition to this, wearing reflective gear at night can help avoid an accident as well.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Accidents can happen in many ways. While this is true, is the job of a rider to do everything possible to prevent it. This includes always paying attention to surroundings and following the rules of the road.
These are all great tips to keep in mind to protect yourself while riding a bike. However, accidents can happen anyway due to the actions of another party. In the event that this does happen and you sustain serious injuries, it is possible to hold a negligent driver liable. When pursuing legal action, be sure to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney for assistance during this time.
Contact our Firm
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.