When we drive in strong winds, we don’t usually think much of it. But, the same cannot be said for truck drivers. Due to their size, harsh winds can cause serious truck accidents to occur. Read on to learn more about wind-related truck accidents in New Jersey.
What are Some Causes of Wind-Related Truck Accidents?
The chances of a truck accident can increase significantly in the event that strong winds are present. This may happen in the event of the following:
- High crosswinds: A strong gust of wind can cause a truck to sway or tip on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo that is not loaded correctly can shift and unevenly distribute the truck’s weight, making the vehicle difficult to navigate in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers are required to check the weather regularly so they know what safety precautions to implement on the road. This can include slowing to a safe speed, pulling over until conditions improve, planning an alternative route, etc.
What Types of Accidents are Caused by Strong Winds?
A truck accident can be caused by strong winds in various ways. Some of these ways include:
- Rollover accidents: Wind can cause a driver to lose control and roll the vehicle over on its side.
- Underride accidents: Truck drivers who step on the brakes after being hit by wind can cause a closely following vehicle to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What Should I do if I am involved in a Truck Accident?
If you are involved in a truck accident, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance and file an accident report.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- Seek medical attention: It is important that you go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility, immediately after the accident. Make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: If you are injured in a truck accident, you will want a strong legal team on your side.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.