Can I Recover Lost Income During a New Jersey Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Get A Free Consultation Today!

When injured in a car accident, are the victim of a premises liability incident, or sustain a dog bite that leads to a nasty infection, you may be out of work for a while as a result. Not only can you endure exuberant medical expenses, but the extent of your injuries may leave you out of work. This can cause substantial financial stress on an individual. However, you may not know you could be eligible for compensation for lost income. Keep reading to learn more about what this means and how to prove your case with the help of Monmouth County personal injury attorneys.

What Is Lost Income?

When you are injured and unable to work, you will likely lose the income you earn. Generally, it’s relatively easy to prove past lost wages. These are the earning that the injured party was unable to claim from the moment they stopped working as a result of their injury to when they settled out of court or finished a trial with the negligent party. These wages are quantifiable and simple to award in comparison to future lost earnings.

Proving future lost income the injured party can suffer is a much more complicated situation. If it is determined that a person will be unable to work for an undetermined amount of time, or in extreme instances, for the rest of their life, it is exceptionally challenging to award damages. This is because the situation is relatively subjective, as there is no quantifiable proof, like a paycheck or period of time, to help prove how much someone should receive. For example, if it’s determined that someone will be out of work for another eight months, you can take their monthly wages, multiply them by eight, and award it to the injured party.

However, if they are out of work for an undetermined amount of time or the rest of their life, the courts will consider how old they are. If a person is 55 when injured, they will likely only receive benefits until retirement age, as that is when people traditionally stop working. In the instance they are unsure when they will return to work, testimony from doctors can come in handy.

What Evidence Can Help Prove My Case?

When you are injured and out of work due to a negligent party, doing what you can to secure evidence illustrating the extent of your injuries can help you receive the compensation you deserve. As previously mentioned, the testimony of medical professionals can help you receive the compensation you’re entitled to. Medical professionals can speak on behalf of the injuries you’ve sustained and their professional option on the time frame you could be able to return to work.

You may also need to provide paystubs showing your income and a wage verification letter from your employer to help the courts determine how much you should be awarded.

If you’ve been out of work due to injuries sustained at the hands of a negligent party, the Wilton Law Firm can help. Contact us today to connect with a competent personal injury to discuss the details of your circumstances.