Due to their size and weight, trucks are very dangerous. Unfortunately, truck accidents are fairly common. Accidents can happen for any number of reasons. For example, poor road conditions or inclement weather. But, for the most part, these accidents are caused by negligence. If you or a loved one is injured by a truck driver due to negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on for more information regarding truck accidents in New Jersey.
What are the Most Common Examples of Negligence
One of the primary ways to recognize negligence is to be aware of the specific negligent acts that commonly lead to semi-truck accidents. These can include the following:
- Operating a truck under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Fatigued driving that violates the FMCSA Hours of Service regulations and causes a truck driver to lose focus or even fall asleep at the wheel;
- Distracted driving behaviors, including messaging or texting, using a handheld phone, interacting with passengers, reading, among others;
- Aggressive driving, such as tailgating, intimidating or threatening other drivers, dangerous or unnecessary lane changes, and excessive speeding;
- Driving too fast for weather, traffic, or road conditions;
- Violations of any other regulations enforced by the FMCSA;
- Violations of any local or state traffic laws;
- Allowing an unlicensed, untrained, or unqualified driver to operate a semi-truck;
- A company’s failure to conduct random drug and alcohol testing for drivers as required by the FMCSA or failure to discipline drivers who test positive;
- Improper loading of the cargo in trailer;
- Inadequate inspection or maintenance of a semi-truck.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to take legal action, you must file your claim within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file in time will mean losing your opportunity to receive compensation.
A truck accident can severely impact your life. You may be affected physically, mentally, and financially. It can be difficult to recover without any compensation for things like lost wages, hospital bills, and pain and suffering. We want to help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one has been involved in a semi-truck accident, contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Retaining an attorney after an injury-causing accident is the most effective way to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can help you, call the Wilton Law Firm today at 732-275-9555 or send us an email through our online contact form.